Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2007

I'll Soon Be Class-ified

So the class that I was on the waitlist for at NYU had an opening and I signed up. I'm pretty excited about it since it's a digital photography shooting workshop. I'm crossing my fingers that my DSLR gets back from the shop in time. If not, I'll make do with my point and shoot. I'm just excited to learn. I checked out the professor's website and it looks like he went to Vietnam at some point too. This is his Bio:
Bruce Byers BA; Instructor. Professional Photographer; http://www.brucebyers.com/ http://www.streetmoments.com/
Short but sweet I suppose. It's interesting to see a professional photographer and the things they have in their portfolio. I don't know why I expect to see things that are a little more flamboyant and not so everyday, but I will be interested to learn what other people think makes a good picture. To me, a good picture is one that tells a story or makes you think or feel something. Maybe I'm trying to say a good picture is one that gets a reaction from the audience? That doesn't seem quite right though. Well, I'll let you all know once I find out, and we can follow my picture taking progress to see if I become a "photographer" after my 8 classes.

I have mosquitos in my house from time to time. I have no idea how they get in but they eat me alive. I think it's just one at a time and that one hunts me down and torments me all evening. I really am mosquito bait. I can go out in the backyard for one minute and come in with 5 bites. Yes, I've timed it. I don't know why they like to eat me, but I itch like crazy, and large red dots all over including on my face just aren't attractive. I don't use smelly things so I don't know what it is about me, they don't seem to bother Scott. Last night I was out collecting some leaves for a workshop at work, which turned out really cute by the way. I'll have to take a picture and show you. And I was fully clothed and I got 2 bites on my rear! I don't know if you really needed to know that, but I am trying to convey how serious my mosquito attracting condition is. I do own repellent, even some stuff that is 99% deet, crazy strong and probably awful, but I don't want to get all slicked up every time I want to spend five minutes in my own backyard. I guess that's one good thing about the weather cooling down. At least the mosquitos will go away, though it's still 80 around here today.

Trivia for the day: There are over 3,000 species of mosquitoes worldwide! I think every one of them is out to get me. I wonder how many species I've been bitten by.

2 comments:

  1. i'm not sure why, but i was expecting all recent photos in his little slideshow, but i think most of them were from the 70s & 80s. is that when he took his best pictures? i like some of the "current images" he has--the groom trying to escape, the dog in the stroller, the dedicated fan... but i also really like the vintage one of the lawn chairs in the water. less because it's a cool picture, and more because i want to do that. can we do that sometime? pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we can do that next time you come. I'll have to get some lawn chairs first and we can set them by the edge of the water at low tide and let the tide rise around us and our chairs. Hopefully my professor wasn't all tapped out in the 70s & 80s.

    ReplyDelete

Recap Defined

ri•cap 1 (rē-kāp') Pronunciation Key tr.v. ri•capped, ri•cap•ping, ri•caps
1. a summary at the end that repeats the substance of a longer discussion
2. To replace a cap or caplike covering on: recapped the camera lens.
3. Ri - a female given name: derived from Adrienne.