Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ask and Ye Shall Recieve

Sarah said... "I need a "a new blog has been posted" notice."

I have added a thingy so that you can subscribe to new post notifications. Just scroll down to the "New Post Notifier" section and type in your e-mail address then follow the on screen directions. This should send you an e-mail everytime I update the blog. This way you don't have to check back every day again and again hoping for that moment of joy when you find that I have added some new content to brighten your day. Ok maybe I went a little overboard there...

Edit 12:21 pm: So I realized that this is more confusing than I thought at first. There are RSS and Atom feeds, and they seem to only e-mail you once a day instead of as soon as something is posted. I have changed it over from blogarithm which I tried to use at first to feedburner and rmail. I think feedburner will just pop up in your browser, rmail will e-mail you within a few hours of a post. If anyone knows more, please explain!!!! I'm so confused.

Brian said... "What the heck is Ri-Cap? I don't remember ever seeing that type of camera, perhaps it's Japanese."

Well Brian, instead of making you search back through the archives to my very first post where I explained this, I have added a definition to the sidebar that I hope clarifies things for all new visitors.

Happy reading everyone. If you have any more requests just ask! I just request that you comment away.

3 comments:

  1. oh hurray i'm first this time! and i'm subscribed now so i don't have to make sure i check every day for that moment of joy when I find that you added some new content to brighten my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification on Ri-Cap!

    Regarding the email subscriptions. Most email services (blogarithm, feedburner) seem to only do once a day mailings, although you may get more frequent mailings if you pay. Rmail is faster (ever few hours).

    Atom and RSS feeds are different from email, and most people use a news reader (www.google.com/reader) to grab the feed you published (some browswers also let you directly view these feeds). I just added your feed URL (http://feeds.feedburner.com/Ricap) too my google reader subscriptions. That way your blog posts come with my morning news :-) These feeds should be updated pretty frequently.

    I also think you might also want to change your feed settings from short to full (Settings/Site Feed/Allow Blog Feed) so that more of the posts shows up in the feed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brian, I changed it to full just for you! I also appreciate the explanation. Seems like there'd be demand for an instant notifier, I'm surprised there isn't one.

    ReplyDelete

Recap Defined

ri•cap 1 (rē-kāp') Pronunciation Key tr.v. ri•capped, ri•cap•ping, ri•caps
1. a summary at the end that repeats the substance of a longer discussion
2. To replace a cap or caplike covering on: recapped the camera lens.
3. Ri - a female given name: derived from Adrienne.